Task 37: Hydrogen Safety
Task 37 mission and objectives are designed to support the acceleration of safe deployment of hydrogen infrastructures through coordinated international collaborations and hydrogen safety knowledge dissemination.
- Development of hydrogen safety integration models and tools.
- Development of risk assessment and management strategies to ensure safe deployment of hydrogen infrastructures.
- Collection of systems, subsystems, and components reliability (i.e., field failure) data and human error (HE) probabilities (i.e., human factors) to support quantitative risk analysis (QRA).
- Performance of consequence analysis to quantify the impact of postulated hydrogen-related accident scenarios on public safety.
- Develop user-friendly integrated hydrogen safety models to facilitate system analysis and determine appropriate risk metrics.
- Identify gaps in current basic and applied hydrogen-based research.
- Establish focused activities for the hydrogen safety subtasks.
- Provide a framework around which collaborative research programs can be conducted.
- Collect information on the effects of components failures on hydrogen systems and infrastructures.
- The aforementioned objectives are intended to support the overarching goal of enhancing the safe deployment of hydrogen-based technologies.
Subtask A: Integrated Hazards and Risk Assessment tool kit
Result/Output/Work Product: An alpha-tested integrated hazards and risk assessment tool kit.
Subtask B: Accident Scenario Development (from initiating events to end states)
Result/Output/WorkProduct: Generic baseline system(s) design and configuration to be used for alpha testing and validation of the integrated tool kit (output of Subtask A). Examples include systems, accident scenarios, mitigations and prevention strategies, etc.
Subtask C: Physical Effects (Pressure, Temperature, Heat Loads, etc.)
Result/Output/WorkProduct: Validated engineering predictive models, test data (sub-scale or full-scale tests).
Subtask D: Human Reliability Analysis (HRA) / Human Factors
Result/Output/WorkProduct: Identify and quantify human influence on operational safety (out-of-the-box thinking) of hydrogen infrastructure.
Subtask E: Materials Compatibility
Result/Output/Work_Product: Enhance understanding of hydrogen effects on material properties and mechanical strength by developing physics of failure (PoF) models (e.g., embrittlement modeling, tank liner integrity), testing (e.g., hydrogen permeation tests), and material surface characterization (e.g., XRD analysis …)